Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Reading Response 7

Whew, it feels like we just got started, but we have finally made it to the end of Armstrong's twisting and turning history of Jerusalem.  So that means everything is peaceful and everyone can now go back into their lovely lives and enjoy, right? Wrong. Although Armstrong puts us through 1995, the last 18 years has shown that there is still unrest in Jerusalem. 

I thought that these last few chapters were the best of the book because I could relate to them more than the earlier history that I had not previously studied.  From the Holocaust to the 1967 War, I could follow along easier due to the minor knowledge I have on those events.  Armstrong really does a great job in wrapping up the book and allowing an open flow of continued history to jump right in.  I think that is amazing how far Jerusalem has come, but has so much to live up to in the future. 

After these last few weeks of reading, it has really spun me around multiple times with all of the dates, names, and rich history that surrounds one of the most historic places in the world.  I think that the book has helped me analyze history a little better in some sense, even though there is no way that I could remember even half of the people or places she mentioned.  As a Jew, it is interesting to learn the major pieces of history that surround the state of Israel, especially the holy city of Jerusalem.  I think this book is a good transition for the rest of the class, looking into the last 18 years of history and what we have to look forward to in the future.  The questions of "will peace ever come back?" continue...

2 comments:

  1. I'd have to agree with you on the times I've been confused or turned around myself by all the names and dates, but yes the end was definitely the easiest and most interesting to me since it was closer to our time in history. Peace.... I guess thats just something we'll have to wait and see about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. It's crazy that in the 18 years have passed since the release of her book, so much has happened. The book somewhat is symbolic of the class as it represents growing pains that the city of Jerusalem is going through. But how long do growing pains last? I guess in this case the answer is still to be determined.

    ReplyDelete