Sunday, January 27, 2013

Weblog Journal 2- The Conflict

When you think about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict or whichever way you want to call it, you don't even know where to start.  It is such an abysmal situation that nobody knows (or in my opinion, will ever know) how to solve the issue for both parties.  Yes, Israel is holding their own right now, but ever since I can remember, there has multiple conflicts consistently going along between the two.  Now, the issues are about land, Jerusalem itself, and even religious controversies.  There is no way that anyone is going to be happy about one outcome or the other because it just not seem feasible. 

While reading Pressman's article, I did like how it was straight to the point where I could follow along and put the facts together. It is simple to follow what has been going on because it has been witnessed and there is no way around it.  The last 50+ years since Israel became a state has been documented by fact, and not opinion by any means.  However, there are so many opinions on each side of the conflict that believe their way is the right way.

From a personal view, I have acknowledged that I do not believe there will be any kind of settlement anytime soon.  I am a Jew and would not want anything to happen to Israel.  That might sound like bias, but I am not against a plan if it favors everyone.  Sacrifices would have to be made on both sides and that is where I believe the problems will occur.  Neither side wants to give anything up, but only wants to gain for power.  Who even knows where to start how this can be resolved.  I like to be optimistic, but this could be awhile...

3 comments:

  1. What kind of sacrifice do you think should/will happen?

    I agrees that the Pressman article was very to the point, however how can you tell whether or not that all of the documented history is fact and not opinion? There is opinion to history, even when you don't think there is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I enjoyed the style the article was in compared with the book. It seemed much more to the point, however I would have liked to read another article from a person with a different perspective. It is hard to tell where a lot of Pressmen's facts come from and he does make a number of generalizations.

    As far as the rest of your blog, I really do not see a time when there will not be conflict in the region. While a two-state solution is the current status quo, I think it is time for negotiators and politicians to try and start getting a little more creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Zach to an extent. With modern politics being established the way it is, it makes it very difficult for this level to be reached however. There will always be conflict even if a two state solution is reached over modern agriculture, military and resourcing. We saw for example that Sudan when it split apart, engaged in a much bigger war than it had ever seen between the two new created nations. I did a project on the region, and multiple disputes over control became evident.

    ReplyDelete